Ryhope Engines Museum Visit
On Saturday May 27th, we visited the Engines Museum based at the Ryhope Pumping Station, which was built in 1868. The station ceased operation in 1967, after 100 years of continuous use. Ryhope Pumping Station has been a local icon ever since its construction. The Station and Site supplied water to Sunderland and its environs, after its decommissioning, the building and the surrounding site brings the community together through local history.
We were met at 10:30 (before the museum became busy) by volunteer Keith Bell, who gave us some background information, introduced us to the station, and then guided us around all three floors, with both pumps under steam. We enjoyed the spectacle of the giant Victorian beam engines starting up from rest. After Keith's tour, we explored further, benefitting from the many volunteers on hand who could answer additional questions and explain more of the workings of this engineering marvel. We also enjoyed the additional attraction of a Steampunk fair on site. For a rest, some retired to the tea room for refreshments.
We then moved to The Albion pub on Ryhope village green for a generous delicious lunch of soup, bread, cheese and salad
Following lunch, a few of us walked south from The Albion onto England's Coast Path towards Seaham. We walked from Ryhope village to the cliff tops and downinto Ryhope Dene before turning back. We were lucky to have excellent weather with clear views in all directions.
Thanks to Ros Stansfield, Colin Dunnighan and Sue Austin for the photos.
The photos below are in galleries. To look in the gallery, click on any image. To move through the gallery, place your cursor to the left or right of a photo and a 'PREV' or 'NEXT' button will appear in the upper part of the photo. Clicking on them moves through the photos.